Fall decorating

Here is a pic of the mantel. The fireplace is floor-to-ceiling rock, and is much too heavy for the foundation that the builder put under the house. They should have poured a concrete foundation, but they just used joists. So, after all these years, we are stuck with the fireplace separating from the wall. Not a good thing. While we love the rock, Jim and I are going to have to remove it and put up something that will be MUCH lighter. We saw a rock veneer last weekend on HGTV, and really liked it.
This is a little bookcase that is on the wall between the hallway and the kitchen. I thought this was a cute little area for a simple fall decoration.
This is probably my favorite decoration. It's on the buffet inside the door going to the garage, and it's a long, low piece of furniture. I very simply placed a vase of silk flowers in the middle, silk fall leaves on the table, and matching candle hurricanes on either side. There is a long, low mirror over the buffet, which completes the clean lines here.
This is the most fun decoration we did. It's on the cedar chest in front of the front double window. Jim found a great twiggy branch for me, and I spray painted it silver. Ferrell gave me an old cast iron pot (or witch's cauldron, for this usage) that I put styrofoam in and stuck that branch into. Covered that with moss and put it on the center of the table. That holiday covering is actually a pillow case that my Aunt Diner made several years ago for the boys. They wouldn't sleep on them for the longest time because it scared them, so I used them for other things. Now that they wouldn't be scared by them, I have claimed them as my own. haha
This is the foyer. Another long and simply arrangement. Lots of color.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, dear niece, the pillowcase looks real cute. Glad my handiwork is being put to use. You never told me the pillowcases scared the boys. Bless your heart. You are so gracious. Glad you are able to use them in other ways. Love you, Aunt Diner